Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
February 15, 2014
Kershaw's Corner: Alabama
South Carolina vs. Alabama
* Alabama leads the overall series 24-13. USC has won nine of the 15 games in Columbia.
* Alabama has won five of the last six in the series.
* Six of the last nine games have been decided by six points or less.
* The last meeting - Alabama defeated South Carolina 68-58 on February 16, 2013 in Tuscaloosa. The biggest difference in the game came from the free throw line. The Tide hit 18 of their 33 attempts while the Gamecocks hit seven of 13. USC won the battle in the paint 34-26 and their bench outscored the Bama bench 26-23.
* USC's last win in the series was a 56-54 victory on January 25, 2012 in Columbia.
Holding Teams Under 60
Carolina has held five of its opponents to under 60 points this season. USC won all five of those games. Last season, USC held four teams to under 60 points. USC went 2-2 in those four games.
Field Goal Shooting Against Vandy
The Gamecocks shot 37.5% from the floor against Vandy on Thursday. It was their second consecutive game shooting less than 40% from the floor. However, it was the first time this season they won a game shooting less than 40% from the floor.
Dominating the Boards Against Vandy
USC pulled down 45 rebounds with 26 coming on the offensive glass. It was the most in a game for the Gamecocks since grabbing 45 against USC Upstate. The season high for Carolina is 50 versus Longwood.
The Gamecocks are 1-2 in their last three games but their bench has combined to outscore their opponents bench 44-21 in those three games. (14-6 vs. Auburn, 19-13 at Tennessee, and 11-2 vs. Vanderbilt)
Second Chance Points
The Gamecocks scored 23 second chance points against Vanderbilt on Wednesday night. It was the most for USC in a game this season. The most second chance points USC had in a game last season was 23 at St. John's.
*Led the team in scoring in the last two games.
*Led the Gamecocks in assists in the last five games.
*Only Gamecock to start in every game this season.
* In the last three games he has 19 assists to 10 turnovers. The first three SEC games this season, he had five assists to 12 turnovers.
* Came off the bench and played 21 minutes on Thursday night against Vanderbilt.
* Pulled down six rebounds including four on the offensive side of the glass.
* The six rebounds were the most for him since grabbing 11 against South Carolina State on January 3, 2014.
* The four offensive rebounds tied his career high. He pulled down four against South Carolina State and USC Upstate this season.
* Played at least 30 minutes in the last four games.
* Hit exactly four field goals in each of the last four games.
* Pulled down at least four rebounds in four of the last five games.
* Since the Texas A&M game on January 15, 2014, he has scored in double figures in every other game. (12-4-14-2-19-9-12-9-10)
Coach Martin changed up his starting five slightly against Vanderbilt as he started Thornwell, Williams, Notice, Carrera, and Kacinas. It was the first start for Kacinas since January 15, 2014 at Texas A&M. In the previous six games to Vanderbilt, USC used the starting five of Thornwell, Williams, Notice, Carrera and Henry.
*10-14 overall, and 4-7 in SEC play.
* The Tide is 0-7 on the road this season including an 0-5 record on the road against SEC opponents.
*Head Coach is Anthony Grant. Grant is 96-66 in five years at Alabama and has a head coaching record of 172-91 in eight seasons.
* Relefor and Obasohan are the only two players averaging in double figures and 30+ minutes a game.
* Rodney Cooper is leading the team with 5.1 rebounds per game.
* Scored 62 points or less in six of their seven SEC losses. Scored 67 or more in their four SEC wins.
Trevor Releford (12 / 6-1 / 190 / Sr. / G)
* Averaging 18.7 points per game this season. In the last two games, he has scored 25 at Florida and 26 vs. Ole Miss.
* Hit six of his last 12 three point attempts.
* Played in 23 games this season with 22 starts.
Nick Jacobs (15 / 6-8 / 245 / Jr. / F)
* Started the last two games and has nine starts on the season.
* Scored 18 points and pulled down eight rebounds against Ole Miss earlier this week.
* Five of the eight boards were on the offensive glass.
Shannon Hale (11 / 6-8 / 220 / Fr. / F)
* Started the last 13 games.
* Scored in double digits in eight of the last 14 games.
* Averaging 11.1 in SEC play.
South Carolina NEWS