Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
February 21, 2014
Kershaw's Corner: Eastern Kentucky
Gamecocks versus Eastern Kentucky
* USC leads the overall series 1-0.
* The only meeting between the two schools took place on March 21, 1982. The Gamecocks defeated EKU 11-3 in Columbia.
Opening Weekend Sweeps
The Gamecocks have swept five of their last six opening weekend series. They swept Duquesne in 2009, and 2010, Santa Clara in 2011, VMI in 2012 and Bucknell in 2014. USC won two out of three against Liberty in 2013.
Scoring 10 or more runs in the first three games of the season
USC scored 17 in the first game on Saturday and 12 in the second game. They plated 12 again on Sunday. Last time USC scored 10+ runs in their first three games of the season was 1987. They actually scored 10 or more runs in the first five games of the 1987 season. (1987 18-0 vs. Newberry, 15-0 vs. Erskine, 10-2 vs. Francis Marion, 18-13 and 11-5 vs. Georgia Southern)
No Place Like Home
Dating back to last season, the Gamecocks have won 12 straight at home. Their last loss at Carolina Stadium was to Vanderbilt on May 2.
Gamecocks Since Their Last Loss Against a Non-Conference Opponent in Carolina Stadium
* USC has won 24 straight games at Carolina Stadium against non-conference opponents. That includes the 2013 Columbia Regional. The last loss at Carolina Stadium for the Gamecocks against a non-conference opponent was against Liberty on February 17, 2013. Liberty defeated Carolina 3-2 in a seven inning game.
* USC has six shutouts in the 24 games.
* Carolina has allowed four runs or less in 20 of the 24 games.
* USC has scored 10+ runs in 10 of the 24.
2014 Presbyterian - 4-0
2014 Bucknell - 17-4, 12-2, 12-0
2013 Liberty - 6-4 - Columbia Regional
2013 Liberty - 19-3 - Columbia Regional
2013 Saint Louis - 7-3 - Columbia Regional
2013 Presbyterian - 4-3
2013 Wofford - 9-3
2013 College of Charleston - 10-6
2013 The Citadel - 6-5
2013 Charleston Southern - 9-5
2013 Davidson - 12-4
2013 USC Upstate - 12-3
2013 Rider - 2-0, 9-5, 1-0
2013 Ball State - 10-0, 14-4
2013 Clemson - 8-0
2013 Furman - 5-2
2013 Albany - 8-3, 14-1, 6-4
Batting Over .300
USC has five players who have at least seven at bats and hitting over .300 this season. Martin (.692), Bright (.467), English (.357), Greiner (.357), and Pankake (.308).
The Gamecocks have hit five home runs this season. They have been hit by five different players. Martin, Greiner, Pankake, Arendas and Schrock have all hit one homer.
Getting on Base
Martin, Schrock, English, Greiner, Bright and Pankake have reached base in each game this season.
Martin and Bright are the only two Gamecocks to have a hit in each game this season.
The Gamecocks have not allowed a run in 24 innings. The last run allowed by the USC pitching staff was in the third inning with two outs of the second game against Bucknell.
USC has two consecutive shutouts. The last time the Gamecocks shutout their opponents in two consecutive games was just last season. Carolina defeated Clemson 8-0 in Columbia on March 3 and then defeated Ball State 10-0 on March 5.
USC Bullpen Numbers This Season
Montgomery, Wynkoop and Crowe Combined versus Bucknell
*Wynkoop threw five innings in the second game of the double header on Saturday. He struck out a career high six batters.
* Crowe was the first freshman to start on opening weekend since Tyler Webb did it in 2010.
* Crowe in his first start and appearance as a Gamecock threw 6.1 innings allowing no hits and no runs. He faced 21 batters striking out five and walking one.
* Pitched five innings allowing three hits and no runs in the season opener against Bucknell. He struck out four and walked one.
* His first start in 2013 came against Liberty and he pitched six innings allowing five hits and no runs. He walked two and struck out five.
* In Saturday's double header, Arendas went four for seven with a home run and a double. In 2013, he had one hit in 14 at bats.
* The home run on Saturday versus Bucknell was the first by a Gamecock this season.
* Had a career high five RBIs on Saturday in the second game of the double header. His previous career high was four.
* Hit in the nine spot in all four games.
* First home run of the year came in the third game of the series.
* Entering this weekend hitting .308 with one home run and one run batted in.
* Tied for the team lead with nine runs scored. (Schrock with nine)
* Started two games at third base and two games in left field.
*First college hit came in the 5th inning in the third game of the series.
* First home run of the season came in the 5th inning.
* Went 3 for 9 on the weekend with five walks, eight runs, four runs batted in and two stolen bases.
* Walked six times and been hit by a pitch twice this season.
* Two of his four hits are doubles.
* Started all four games at shortstop.
* Four of his seven hits are doubles. He had 11 doubles in 2013.
* Four walks this season. He had four walks during the entire 2013 season.
* Four game hit streak
* Leads the team with eight RBIs.
* Leads the team entering this weekend with a .692 batting average and 13 total bases.
* Has one home run and seven runs batted in. In 2013, he had 10 RBIs.
* Has a four game hitting streak.
* Hitting .357 with one homer and seven runs batted in.
* Has three multiple RBI games this season.
* Reached base in all four games.
Scouting Eastern Kentucky
* 1-3 on the season and played all four of those games on the road.
* Lost two out of three at Alabama State and lost to Louisville on Wednesday.
* Six of seven on stolen base attempts this season.
* Sean Hagen and Bryan Soloman are the only EKU players with a homerun this season. Both have hit one.
* Eight different players have at least one extra base hit.
* Scored 14 runs on the season. Kyle Nowlin and Bryan Soloman have combined to score six of the 14. They have three each. Nowlin has been the leadoff hitter in all four games and Soloman has hit clean up in all four.
Their Starting Pitchers Against Alabama State Last Weekend (2014 Stats)
Brent Cobb - 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 GS, 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 BB, 3 K, .217 Opp. BA
Tanner Perkins - 0-0, 3.00 ERA, 1 GS, 6.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, .304 Opp. BA
Myles Scott - 0-1, 15.00 ERA, 1 GS, 3.0 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, .400 Opp. BA
South Carolina NEWS