In this feature for Gamecock Central, USC radio statistician Doug Adams, aka "Kershaw," provides the kind of in-depth team notes professional broadcasters use. Today, we look at Texas A&M.
South Carolina vs. Texas A&M
* Texas A&M leads the overall series 1-0. The two teams met last season on March 2, 2013 in College Station with the Aggies taking a 74-56 victory. The game was tied at 32 at halftime.
* The Gamecocks shot 38.3% from the field while the Aggies shot 53.7%. USC shot 29.2% from the field in the second half.
* USC won the battle on the boards last season 34-26, but turned the ball over 17 times to A&M's eight.
* A&M recorded seven blocked shots to USC's one.
Protect the Basketball
*The Gamecocks have turned the ball over 40 times in the last two games. They committed 21 turnovers against the Gators and 19 against the Tigers. The four games before that USC combined for 40 turnovers. LSU and Florida combined for 24 steals.
*USC won the battle on the boards against Florida 28-25, but LSU held a 42-32 advantage. The Tigers had 16 offensive rebounds to Carolina's seven.
*The Gamecocks have held their last six opponents to shoot 30% or less from three-point range. Boise State was the last team to shoot above 30% on the Gamecock defense. The Broncos shot 40%. Nine of Carolina's 15 opponents this season have shot less than 30% from three-point range.
Gamecock Scoring in Wins and Losses
* USC is averaging 80.7 points per game in its seven wins this season while it is averaging 61.1 points per game in its eight losses.
* The Gamecocks has scored 78+ points in six of their seven wins (69 vs. Akron) this season while they have scored 68 or less in their eight losses. Carolina scored exactly 68 points in three games this season.
* Seven of the eight opponents in the losses scored 71 points or more.
Gamecocks Starting Five
* The last six games, Head Coach Frank Martin has used the same starting five of Williams, Thornwell, Notice, Henry, and Kacinas.
* Thornwell, Henry and Kacinas are the only Gamecocks to start every game this season.
* USC is 4-2 in the last six games with Williams, Thornwell, Notice, Henry and Kacinas starting. In the last six games, Carolina is averaging 74.5 points per game. In the prior six games, USC used three different lineups and averaged 67.3 points per game.
* Started six games on the season. All six have come in the last six games. He started seven games during the 2012-13 season.
* Scored in double figures in seven straight games.
* Hit at least two three-pointers in nine straight games.
* Played 30+ minutes in four of the last six games.
* Has 16 turnovers on the season and four came against LSU.
* Hit 33 of his 34 free throw attempts this season. His only miss came against LSU.
* Started the first nine games of the season, but has came off the bench in the last six.
* Despite coming off the bench in the last six games, he has scored in double figures in five of them.
* Scored in double figures in 11 of 15 games this season.
* Shot at least six free throws in 10 of the 15 games this season.
* Averaging 2.9 rebounds per game this season, but has grabbed 11 in the last two games combined.
* Started all 15 games this season.
* Hit 9 of his 14 free throw attempts in the last three games.
* Averaging 5.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.
* No starts this season, but has played in all 15 games.
* Played 20 minutes versus Florida and 23 versus LSU. Most action he has seen in back to back games this season.
* Has at least four rebounds in five of the last six games. He had a total of 10 rebounds in the first nine games of the season.
* Played in all 15 games this season.
* Scored a career-high 25 points versus LSU.
* Has at least four rebounds in three straight games.
* Has hit 12 of his last 18 shots from the field and hit 13 of his last 19 from the free throw line.
Texas A&M Head Coach Billy Kennedy
* Alma Mater - Southern Louisiana, 1986.
* He is 43-37 in four seasons at A&M and he is 254-216 in 17 seasons overall.
Scouting the Aggies
* Texas A&M is 11-4 overall and 2-0 in SEC play. It is 10-1 at Reed Arena this season.
The only loss at home was a 61-41 loss to North Texas on Dec. 31, 2013.
* The Aggies' two SEC wins are 69-53 over Arkansas and 57-56 over Tennessee.
* Jamal Jones and Kourtney Roberson are the only Aggies averaging 10+ a game. Jones averages 10.9 and Roberson averages 10.4.
* Roberson is also the leading rebounder for the Aggies with 7.7 per game.
* Held five of their last seven opponents to 40% or less from the field.
* Assist to turnovers in the two SEC games were 30 to 19.
Shawn Smith (G/6-4/192)
*Started the first seven games of the season, but has come off the bench in the last seven games that he has played in.
*Played 16+ minutes in four of the last five games.
Jordan Green (G/6-5/188)
*Started all 15 games this season for the Aggies.
*Averaging 7.9 points per game and 2.5 rebounds per game.
* Played at least 25 minutes in nine games this season.
Fabyon Harris (G/5-11/178)
* Started the last three games.
* Scored eight points or more in five of the last six games.
* Shooting 83.3% from the free throw line.
Kourtney Roberson (F/6-9/244)
* Started all 15 games this season.
* Scored in double figures in seven games this season. Scored seven points or less in the last five games.
* Averaging 7.7 rebounds per game. Grabbed 10 or more boards in five games this season.
Davonte Fitzgerald (F/6-7/201)
* Played in all 15 games this season and has four starts.
* Played at least 19 minutes in six of the last eight games.
Alex Caruso (G/6-5/183)
*Started in all 15 games this season.
* Hit 11 of his last 22 shots.
* Scored in double figures in four of the last six games. Averaging 9.3 points per game this season.
* Has 25 assists to seven turnovers in the last three games.
Jamal Jones (G/6-8/197)
*Averaging 10.9 points per game and has scored 14+ points in the last three games.
* Played in all 15 games this season and has started the last seven.
* In the last three games he has hit 9 of his 24 three-point attempts.
* In the last three games, he has 19 rebounds.
Antwan Space (F/6-8/224)
*Started nine games and played in all 15.
*Averages 6.9 points and 4.9 rebounds per game.
LSU vs. South Carolina Recap
* The Gamecocks trailed the Tigers 32-30 at halftime. This marked the third consecutive game between the two teams where the lead was by two points at halftime. The team leading at the half in the last three games won the game. (2014 in Columbia - LSU 32-30, 2013 in Columbia - LSU 26-24, 2013 in Baton Rouge - USC 35-33)
* Sindarius Thornwell scored a career high 25 points. His previous career-high was 20 v. Baylor on Nov. 12, 2013. He was 9 of 13 from the floor. His nine field goals made is also a career high. His previous career high for FGM was six.
* Thornwell, Johnson and Williams combined for 39 of the Gamecocks 48 shots from the field. All three attempted 13 shots. They also combined to go 15 of 21 from the free throw line. Johnson and Thornwell also grabbed five boards a piece.
* The Gamecocks shot 34 free throws against LSU with 28 coming in the second half.
* Duane Notice was held to no points in eight minutes of action. It marked the second time this season that he was held to no points in a game. (Florida International in one minute of action.) The eight minutes is the lowest that he has played since playing seven versus Manhattan on Dec. 17, 2013. It is the least amount of action he has seen in the last eight games that he has started.
* Demetrius Henry played five minutes mostly in part to him being in foul trouble. He finished the game with four fouls. The five minutes played were the fewest for him in a game this season. He played nine minutes against Akron on Christmas Day and he had four fouls in that game as well. He has at least four fouls in 10 of the 15 games this season.
* LSU shot 39.3% from the field. They are one of six opponents this season that the Gamecocks have held to under 40% from the field.