Muschamp teleconference notes
Will Muschamp held his weekly teleconference on Sunday night. Here are some highlights of his comments to the media:
- Muschamp gave credit to Jim McElwain and his Florida team for responding; Muschamp said USC didn't handle the moment early. USC played hard, but not very smart. There were mistakes and self-inflicted errors. Muschamp met with the team today and told them to learn from it and move on. The comparison was to Mississippi State early in the game.
- Injuries: Chris Moody will practice on Tuesday. He had a deep bone bruise on his knee. Everyone else is good to go.
- USC was off from practice today, just watched film and worked out.
- It was the first road game for Jake Bentley and Rico Dowdle, and many others haven't played on the road much since USC hasn't been on the road in a while.
- Muschamp noted how USC has started fast at home, not on the road, in most situations.
- As for the offensive line, Muschamp said that they needed to call more runs and be able to execute. Florida's a disruptive front and it's been difficult for teams to run on them, he said. As they went back and watched, they felt like they should have run more on the perimeter. In the passing game, they have to get rid of the ball. Physically beat on the OL one time on the sack plays, the other times the ball needs to come out.
- Muschamp said they'll evaluate the OL after the season in terms of whether or not it lived up to expectation. As for calling the OL the strength of the team prior to the season, Muschamp notes they couldn't have called QB a strength, had no starts coming back at RB, no starts coming back at TE, and a bunch of youth at WR. There were some moving parts up front and they played a very disruptive group on Saturday, he said. They're still working through some things schematically because of youth as well, with skill positions around the OL.
- Muschamp addressed winning the next game against Western Carolina to send the seniors out the right way and getting them to the postseason. The seniors, he said, has laid a solid foundation for them with their work ethic.
- Only those who are seniors and that have graduated will be part of senior day on Saturday.
- Sean Kelly has been affected by a knee strain and has had to take it easier throughout the week in practice. It's not a surgical matter, but he'll have it looked at after the season.
- Muschamp and freshman quarterback Brandon McIlwain have not specifically addressed baseball, but McIlwain will be full-time baseball in January and February. He'll do some things when class isn't in session in the winter to get hitting timing down, etc. They'll cross the bridge when they get to it and do what's the best for him and South Carolina, Muschamp said.